POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : That cross, close up. : Re: That cross (attachment - 40.5kb jpg) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 20:21:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: That cross (attachment - 40.5kb jpg)
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 15 Jul 2007 18:28:34
Message: <469a9f92@news.povray.org>
St. wrote:

 >    I'm not sure if it has made a difference or not, but what else
 >    could I change or add?

Alright, I have probably spent too much time with this, when I should
have been finishing a tutorial. I *had* to make a cool object to show
the gold texture, after all  :)

I don't really know how good it is, and you may need to change the gold
color (I'm slightly [very slightly] color-blind). Here it is:

#declare golden = <1.0, 0.8, 0.4>;
  pigment{rgb golden}
  finish{
   diffuse 0.3
   ambient 0.0
   specular 1
   brilliance 2
   reflection{golden/2 metallic 1}
   metallic 1
  }
  normal{
   granite scale .025  poly_wave 0.5
   accuracy 0.1 bump_size -0.25
  }

That surface normal is there just to give it a little extra something.
Notice the "metallic" keywords. I don't think they were part of the
POV-Ray syntax long ago, but it's good to have them now. You can also
reflect a color vector instead of just a float.

It may be an improvement, it may not be. It's all subjective.

 > (especially since we can find our own gold up here in the Gold
 >> Country!).
 >
 >    Lucky you! Send some my way!  :o)

Well, It's hard work finding the gold, and I haven't found too much. I'm
not out there every day though, panning the creeks and traversing
treacherous mines. I live too far up the hill, and all the placer
deposits seem to occur below 1500-200 feet elevation. I live at 4500'+.

~Sam

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'gold_thingy.jpg' (41 KB)